The thermal parameters are of high interest for modeling as well as device and circuit optimization particularly for SOI and SiGe technologies, 3-D architectures, deep-submicron devices and high power applications.
MOSFETs thermal properties of submicron devices can be reliably characterized only using the RF technique. Pulse width constraints set a limit on applicability of the pulsed IV technique due to thermal time constants being in the range of nanoseconds in advanced devices. However, the RF technique is capable of covering the corresponding frequency range and therefore, is suitable for thermal characterization.
- experimental characterization at the device level (MOSFET and BJT) using RF
- extraction of thermal parameters such as temperature rise, thermal resistance, thermal capacitance and thermal time constant
- extraction of isothermal characteristics
- design of test structures
- thermal imaging at the circuit level using infrared camera
- electro-thermal simulations
- transistor modeling including thermal effects
- device optimization to minimise self-heating
Contact us to find out more: info at incize dot com
- S. Makovejev, S. H. Olsen, V. Kilchytska, and J.-P. Raskin, “Time and Frequency Domain Characterization of Transistor Self-Heating,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1844-1851, 2013.
- S. Makovejev, J.-P. Raskin, M. K. Md Arshad, D. Flandre, S. Olsen, F. Andrieu, and V. Kilchytska, “Impact of self-heating and substrate effects on small-signal output conductance in UTBB SOI MOSFETs,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 71, pp. 93-100, 2012.
- S. Makovejev, S. Olsen, and J.-P. Raskin, “RF Extraction of Self-Heating Effects in FinFETs,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 3335-3341, 2011.
- V. Kilchytska, M. K. Md Arshad, S. Makovejev, S. Olsen, F. Andrieu, T. Poiroux, O. Faynot, J.-P. Raskin, and D. Flandre, “Ultra-thin body and thin-BOX SOI CMOS technology analog figures of merit,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 70, pp. 50-58, 2012.
- Makovejev, S., Kazemi Esfeh, B., Barral, V., Planes, N., Haond, M., Flandre, D., & Raskin, J.-P. (2014). Wide Frequency Band Assessment of 28 nm FDSOI Technology Platform for Analogue and RF Applications. Ultimate Integration on Silicon, ULIS.
- Makovejev, S., Barraud, S., Poiroux, T., Rozeau, O., Raskin, J.-P., Flandre, D., & Kilchytska, V. (2014). Impact of Self-Heating on UTB MOSFET Parameters. EuroSOI.
- S. Makovejev, B. Kazemi Esfeh, J.-P. Raskin, D. Flandre, V. Kilchytska, “Threshold Voltage Extraction Techniques and Temperature Effect in Context of Global Variability in UTBB MOSFETs”, European Solid-State Device Research Conference ESSDERC, Sep. 2013
- S. Makovejev, S. Olsen, F. Andrieu, T. Poiroux, O. Faynot, D. Flandre, J.-P. Raskin, and V. Kilchytska, “On Extraction of Self-Heating Features in UTBB SOI MOSFETs,” in Ultimate Integration on Silicon, ULIS, 2012.
- S. Makovejev, S. H. Olsen, M. K. M. Arshad, D. Flandre, J.-P. Raskin, and V. Kilchytska, “Improvement of High-Frequency FinFET Performance by Fin Width Engineering,” in IEEE International SOI Conference, Oct. 2012.
- S. Makovejev, V. Kilchytska, M. K. Md Arshad, D. Flandre, F. Andrieu, O. Faynot, S. Olsen, and J.-P. Raskin, “Self-Heating and Substrate Effects in Ultra-Thin Body Ultra-Thin BOX Devices,” in Ultimate Integration on Silicon, ULIS, 2011.
- S. Makovejev, S. Olsen, and J.-P. Raskin, “RF extraction of self-heating effects in FinFETs of various geometries,” in 2011 IEEE 11th Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, pp. 117-120, 2011.
- S. Makovejev, S. Olsen, M. Dehan, and J.-P. Raskin, “Self-Heating Effect Characterisation in SOI FinFETs,” in Ultimate Integration on Silicon, ULIS, 2010.